DR. NEIMAN'S TIPS FOR A HAPPY AND HEALTHIER THANKSGIVING
Thanksgiving is a time for family and friends and enjoying the time with all. Weight loss does not have to be your first concern, BUT, you do not have to wake up the next day and have regrets about what you ate (not about what you said). Here are some easy tips to enjoy the day and the people you spend it with:
- Time yourself sitting at the table – DO NOT let yourself sit around the table filled with food for more then 15-20 minutes at time. Get up and walk around, get something to drink before sitting down again.
- Avoid eating the “extras” on the food –
- NO SKIN – the meat is enjoyment enough
- NO TOPPINGS – if there is a dish with excess toppings, try and scrape them off and put on side of plate
- Avoid a lot of the white food- potatoes or breads – you can eat these foods anytime- stick with the foods that are special for the holiday
- Deserts- yes, you can have some, just put a little slice of a few that you want on your plate, just slice them in half and take a few tastes – it is satisfying and gets rid of the “urge”
- Drink water at meal time – don’t waste calories on soda, juices or other unnecessary drinks
Also, what can help the entire day go smoother and easier is try and start the day with a quick walk outside, around the house or in a store. The real “feast” does not begin until after 12pm usually, so don’t let yourself waste calories before the holiday food arrives!
MOST IMPORTANT to remember- holidays are to ENJOY the time with family and friends – these are special times together that you will always remember. If you overdo on calories for 1 day, it was just 1 day. Get the food that will make you vulnerable out of your house and jump back on the weight loss road as soon as you can – that is a challenge and that is what will bring life long success!