Cooking with Pantry Staples: Volume One!
We are all going to the grocery store less these days and stocking up on shelf stable items to have on hand. Let's take a look at pantry staples and learn some new ways they can be used! First up, oats!
Of course, we can eat oatmeal the traditional way - boiling on the stove with water or milk. But here are some OTHER ways oats can be used:
Easy Non-Recipe Ideas:
• Add raw oats to your smoothies and smoothie bowls!
• Your morning bowl of oatmeal doesn’t have to be sweet. Top it with a poached egg, some wilted greens, any type of cheese you have, a spray of olive oil and even hot sauce!
• If flour is hard to come by, throw oats in a blender and make your own oat flour! It can be used alone or combined with all purpose flour to increase the fiber content of a recipe.
• Use as an egg replacement to bind your burgers/meatballs! You can use in meat burgers or veggies burgers (1/4-1/2 c per lb of meat)
• Use coarsely ground oats as a breading for chicken instead of breadcrumbs