Low-Calorie Holiday Cocktails
With so many holiday parties and festivies, alcohol consumption increases this time of year. But have no fear, Step Ahead Wellness Center is here with tips on how to curb holiday cocktail calories. Holiday cocktails don’t have to be a diet downer. With a little planning this season, you can avoid alcohol diet disaster, and there are some drinks that are relatively low in calories.
Know the Culprits:
- Mixers, syrups and sodas can turn an innocent
cocktail into a dessert.
- Higher proof alcohols contain more
calories. For example, 100-proof Vodka =
82 calories/1 oz
- Super-sized drinks. Magaritas with double shots and extra mixers could add up to 1,000 calories or more in 1 mug. A TGIFriday’s frozen mudslide contains 1,100 calories! Most glasses of wine contain 120-150 calories, but that can double depending on the size of the glass and how full it is. One bottle of wine serves 5, 5-ounce servings = 600 calories).
- Beer can range from 64-198 calories per 12 ounces. Dark beer contains more calories than pale beer.
Cut Some Alcohol Calories:
- Alternate alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails.
- Choose wine, light beer or simple cocktails made with low-calorie mixers. Just as you might order a salad with dressing on the side, don’t be shy about asking for your cocktail your way.
- Skip the mix altogether. Try ordering your favorite liquor on the rocks. Infused vodkas are popular because they are not flavored but infused.
- Dilute your drink with club soda or sparking water.
Lastly and more importantly, be sure to appoint a designated driver to get your to/from holidays parties safely.
For more healthy holiday weight loss tips, contact Step Ahead Wellness Center at www.stepaheadwellnesscenter.com or call 908-470-2235. Let us help you reach your weight loss goals in 2014 with our healthy weight loss programs. One on one personal training and small group exercise classes are also available on site with our certified personal fitness trainer, Noelle Lusardi.
Have a safe and holiday season!