Six ingredients, sensational recipe! (and you may already have the lemon, pepper, and olive oil in your kitchen pantry!) Who says Memorial Day weekend has to be limited to hamburgers and hot dogs? These mouth-watering scallops add a sweet element to kick-start beach season! If you enjoy outdoor entertaining, you can also cook the scallops on a grill lightly brushed with olive oil. (use a specialty seafood pan for the grill so scallops don't slip through the grates!) If you are in a time crunch, check out my shortcut version at the end of the recipe. - Sari Greaves, RDN Nutrition Director email@example.com
Makes 4 servings; 240 calories per serving
2 Granny Smith Apples
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
12 large sea scallops (about 1 lb.)
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
Freshly ground pepper, garlic powder (other seasonings: Chinese Five Spice Powder)
Equipment: Simple blender, mesh sieve
1. Core one apple and cut into small cubes. Place in a blender with lemon juice and 1/4 cup water. Puree until smooth.
2. Strain juice though a mesh sieve into a small bowl. Peel, core and cut remaining apple into 1/4" cubes and add to bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season scallops with pepper and garlic powder. Cook scallops until golden brown and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
4. Add butter to skillet. Cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add reserved apple mixture and cook, stirring often, until juice is thickened and apple pieces are tender, about 4 minutes. Spoon over scallops.
* Shortcut version: For a sauteed apple topping instead of a glaze, core and cube apples. Skip steps 1 & 2. After scallops are cooked, add butter to skillet, and simply saute apples until fork tender, 4-5 minutes.. Spoon over scallops.
Adapted from Bon Appetit, May 2013
Hungry for more? Call Step Ahead Wellness Center today at 908.470.2235 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about our May promotions and discousnts for weight loss and fitness programs!