Thanksgiving Fitness Tips – Out of Your Routine Tips to Keep Fit
Thanksgiving is a time to visit with family and friends and many times, you are away from the gym, classes or time at home available to get your “regular” fitness routine in for the day. However, there are many things you can do to keep your body feeling and looking fit and make your holiday more enjoyable.
Ok, first and foremost, you have to MOTIVATE yourself a bit to INNOVATE with some creative ideas to get the calories burned. Keep this in mind- tell yourself you want to EARN the calories you are going to enjoy later in the day. Here are some useful and easy tips:
- WALK – sounds easy but not that appealing if you are staying in the Northeast with bad weather – however – remember – a QUICK walk in bad weather is better then no walk at home. Bundle up, wear good shoes, take an umbrella if necessary, and walk fast and hard for 10-15 minutes outside. It will wake you up, refresh you and get your day off to the right start.
- Before getting dressed and showered for the day – try some easy in the room exercises to tighten up some of those muscles:
- do leg lifts on the floor, one leg at a time if necessary, and do in sets of ten. Start with 1 set and if you still have energy left, keep going.
- If you have any bands at home, do some arm stretches sitting in a chair – again start with sets of 10 and then go a little further if you have extra energy
- Squats – in your room, hold onto your bed or chair, and do some squats to get your thighs and back in shape- start with sets of 5
- Help with all the set up preparations – get the table ready, get the house and foods set up – just keep yourself busy.
- If you are having young children over for the day – DO YOU REMEMBER THE GAME SIMON SAYS – it keeps you active, it is easy – and they will have great fun!!!! (so much better then video games or card games)
- Get up from the table where the food is – every 15 to 20 minutes and take the LONG way to the food, walk around the rooms, around tables, take as many steps as possible to get to your destination.
- At the end of the evening, if you feel a bit over-indulged and full – don’t do anything strenuous, but maybe take some walks around your table and your rooms, just get some extra steps, nice and slow in before you lie down for the night.
REMEMBER – Thanksgiving is about friends, family and being thankful for those you love. Make the day more enjoyable by making yourself feel as good about yourself as possible – so just push yourself to do a little bit extra, either before or after, the day is done.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING AND ENJOY THE HOLIDAY