Take a walk down the frozen dessert aisle. Selecting the best option from an overabundance of "good for you ice creams" can give you brain freeze. Here's Nutritionist Sari Greaves RDN scoop on how to cool off this summer without calorie overload.
1) Pay attention to serving size. On a Nutrition Facts label, a serving is just a half cup. If you stick to a serving under the size of a tennis ball, your waistline witll thank you.
2) Avoid super-premium ice creams like Ben & Jerry's or Haagen- Dazs that hit 250-300 calories per half cup. Go for light ice creams with 1/2 the fat and a 150 calorie limit per serving. Fat-free ice creams and sorbets willl get you below 100 calories per serving, but you may run into artifical sweeteners.
3) The rule of 5. An ice cream with no more that 5 teaspoons of sugar is a good target. The sugar value on a label includes natural sugars from milk and fruit along with added sugar. Men and women should aim for a day's limit of 9 teaspoons (38 grams) and 6 teaspoons (25 grams) of added sugar respectively). For sorbets and sherberts, look for fruit or fruit puree (not juice) as the first ingredient.
Here are Sari's Healthy Frozen Dessert Selections that don't exceed 150 calories* and 2.5 grams saturated fat (artery-clogging fat) per 1/2 cup serving.
1. Healthy Frozen Yogurts: Dannon Oikos Greek (except salted caramel), Lifeway Frozen Kefir (tart & refreshing), Trader Joe's 0% Greek Vanilla. Sari recommends cooling off with frozen yogurt because you get a refreshment with the added bonus of protein and calcium.
2. Healthy Ice Creams: Breyers 1/2 the Fat, Alden's Organic Light, Trader Joe's Light Vanilla, Dreyer's or Edy's Slow Churned 1/2 the Fat (except French Silk), Blue Bunny Premium - Caramel Fudge Brownie or Red Velvet, Breyer's Blasts!, Turkey Hill Light Recipe
3. Healthy Non-Dairy Desserts: So Delicious Soymilk Purely Vanilla, So Delicious Cashew Milk- Cappucino or Creamy Cashew Flavors
4. Healthy Sorbet & Sherberts: Sharon's Sorbet- Mango, Mixed Berry, Passion Fruit, or Raspberry, Ciao Bella Sorbetto- Blackberry Cabernet, Peach Sangria, Alphonso Mango, or Raspberry, Trader Joe'es Mango or Raspberry Sorbet
* average values Adapted from Nutrition Actoin Healthletter July/August 2015
Lose weight and gain confidence with a personalized program and the ongoing support of Step Ahead's expert team, including a physician, certified fitness trainer, and certified nutritionist. We now accept health insurance
Get the inside scoop to all your weight loss needs! Join Step Ahead Wellness Center's facebook page. Post your comments on facebook and automatically be entered into a raffle to win an exclusive gift card.
Dr. Deborah Neiman MD