It’s summer! Time for family fun, catching lightning bugs, staying up late and vacations! Vacations are a wonderful way to take time out for yourself and recharge from your hectic
life. But how will you stay on track with your weight loss journey being away?
While it can be overwhelming and scary, if you plan ahead and stay organized it is possible to stay on track with your health and fitness goals while on vacation. Here are 5 simple tips to maintain your weight loss:
1) Focus on your goal: Re-evaluate your weight loss goal before you leave. Place stickie notes with your goal in your wallet, on your phone and in your bathroom mirror to remind you that you are moving in that direction.
2) Stay active: Enjoy evening walks watching the sun go down or early morning walks while the sun is rising, bike rides, swimming or even taking public transportation. There are lots of ways to burn calories and keep your fitness level consistent while enjoying vacation.
3) Pack snacks: Remember, when you’re sitting around at the airport or a long car ride, healthy food may be hard to come by. Plan ahead and pack food that fits your dietary and weight loss plan. Leave the licorise behind and pack fresh fruit nd nuts instead. Don’t forget to get
plenty of water and stay hydrated!
4) Reward yourself with a special activity instead of food:Fun and unusualexperiences will give you a dopamine lift that elevates your mood.
Vacation activity rewards can include a shopping spree, a massage, or something
else that makes you feel refreshed and rewarded. Maybe it’s paddleboarding or
kayaking. Plus, feeling good makes it so
much easier to stick to your weight loss goals.
5) Indulge with some treats, but
don’t over do it: Vacation is a huge reward in
itself, but exotic flavors and old favorites (like a good ol’ trip to the ice
cream parlor) are part of what makes life sweet. Share treats with your loved
ones, but plan ahead to burn those calories so you can do so guilt free and
stay on track with your weight loss journey!
A good idea is to walk to/from the ice cream parlor.
These are just a few of the ways you
can plan ahead and stay active while enjoying vacation. When you get back,
you’ll have lots of energy and you’ll be thankful you’re still on track with
your weight loss goal. And you will reconnect with yourself, your family &
friends in a healthy, positive way. So
get out there and enjoy the dog days of summer!
Lose weight and gain confidence with a personalizedprogram and the ongoing support of Step Ahead's expert team, including a physician, certified fitness trainer, and certified nutritionist. We now accept health insurance!
Dr. Deborah Neiman MD
49 U.S. Highway 202
Far Hills, NJ 07931